Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Am I a bridge-burner?

This first block of summer semester I'm taking a Race and Minority Relations class. I've really enjoyed it so far, even though I've only been to class for a week (I had a little issue with not being able to sit or move for the first week class had actually started, so I'm a little bit behind, but that's another story).

One thing we're talking about this semester is different strategies we can use to overcome prejudice or that will help us in building relationships with people who are different than we are. Throughout the duration of the semester, my professor will be giving us about 15 different items to add to that list of strategies (and I'll post it on here when it's complete). We talked about one today though that really hit me, and I think it applies to any relationship, especially the relationships we have with those who are closest to us.

I admit that I tend to be a little judgmental. But, aren't we all, in our own different ways? It's something I've been working on because I know I will be judged according to how I judge others. We never know what a person has really gone through and what their life experiences are, so we really have no place, what-so-ever, to judge them. So the question my professor asked us today (and one of the items for our list) was: So what? What am I going to do? Then he added to that: Am I a bridge-burner or a bridge-builder? He wanted us to ask ourselves why we care about the differences we have with others. And if there is a difference between ourselves and someone else, why do we care? Why is it a big deal to us? And, what are we going to do about it? We can be either a bridge-builder or a bridge-builder.

I want to be a bridge-builder. If God loves all of His children, why shouldn't I love them too?

Just something for us to think about. This is something I'm really going to be pondering and working to improve on.

3 comments:

The Lape Family said...

You are a bridge-builder for sure. You are always so positive and just a very happy pleasant person to be around! I think your new blog is a great idea. I can't wait to read the rest of your list. Thank you for being a great example to Ron and I and of course our kids!

Lora said...

Kiara I just found your blog and I just LOVE the idea of an Inspiration Point! I have a blog for me and my thoughts (more of a journal) that I write for myself, but what a great idea to share comments on ideas! This is a topic I just LOVE, so I hope it's ok to comment! Not being judgmental is an attribute I SO DESIRE, LONG, and PRAY to have. To really look at people the way Christ does. In my industry (aesthetics/cosmetology) I have a hard time when people comment/judge another persons looks, or their own. It happens daily, beautiful men and women feeling so down about themselves. My thought is... What is true beauty? Didn't God create us all? By us saying something/someone is MORE beautiful than something/someone else, aren't we actually "judging" God and his perfect creations? Would God create something he didn't think was beautiful? Taking it a little further...if we don't think we ourselves are beautiful aren't we judging one of God's own creations? It's just a thought I think of when I catch myself or others burning their own bridges, (or the bridges of others!) Thanks for the GREAT thought!!
XO
LGT

The Lape Family said...

Hey do you want to got o the Manti Pagent? We are going on the 23rd of June. Let me know if you guys are interested.